Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Lennon

Been a while since I posted. But today's a good day to do so. 

No, it's not (directly) about what a loss John lennon was, the tragedy, or even that there have been over a million shooting deaths since 1980. No, this is far more personal. 

I've mentioned it before, but at this time in 1980, I was... young, and very religious. Deep in my fundamentalist pastor's sway, and yeah, Chick Tracts made sense. As did the whole "Rock is evil and a tool of the devil." And, of course, Lennon was one of the "high priests" of this depravity and evil. (I believe - though it's been ages since I've read it, for obvious reasons - something similar was repeated, if not about him than about multiple other bands, in "Backward masking unmasked." A typically hyperbolic, proof-light (especially in the days pre-internet) book about the evils of Rock Music.) 

Regardless. As a contrast between then and now. With that background, when Lennon was killed, I was actually happy. I thought it was good news, even if "the world" was blinded by his satanic was, blah blah blah. 

Yeah. I look back now and wander just what was wrong with me - and realize just what sort of path the people who kill abortion doctors and the like are on. 

Atheism freed me from many things... zealotry being one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment