Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Religion and bias

So, for those of you in the US - how was your july fourth? Good?

I saw the parade in my hometown, something I haven't seen in decades. I came away with several things. First, a sunburn - I realized I forgot my hat a few minutes into my walk to the parade route. Oops.. Second, jealousy of the marching band. They got to wear shorts - back when I was in high school, we had these hideous (and hot!) uniforms. But as far as jealousy goes... I'm glad someone had sense enough to change those!

Third was a moment of... I don't know if I should call it sadness or disappointment. A moment that caused thought, definitely. Early in the parade was a small group - Muslems for Loyalty.

Yeah, you read that right.

I did have mixed feelings. On the one hand, last time I went (again, decades...) there was nothing even mentioning anyone non-white, non-Christian there, so it's good they're being visible. And they were cheered heratily, which was also great.

On the other hand, they shouldn't have to call themselves "for loyalty" any more than the catholic, baptist, or lutheran churches that followed a way back should. And it makes me rather depressed they feel they DO have to.

Why do they have to?

Religion. And religious bias.

Really... religion doesn't hurt anything?

/sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment